Ever since I was 5 years old, when Saban's Power Rangers first came out, I became hooked on Tokusatsu. Every year, I make it a point to watch a new series or two that I haven't seen before to add to my repertoire. Last year, I was all aboard the Shin Kamen Rider hype train and went to go see it in theaters after familiarizing myself with the original series and a few of the later ones.
I don't exactly remember what triggered it, but suddenly, I got really into buying figurines and high-quality action figures for a solid month or two. Maybe it was my YouTube feed recommending me hella toy videos or perhaps it was all the newer Kamen Rider shows that got me into wanting to own some of the "Changers and Morphers" the protagonists were using (which were also clearly toys).
When I saw the images of the S.H. Figuarts Shin Kamen Rider action figure, I was so blown away that I knew I had to have it. The figure is so detailed and beautiful with a crazy amount of articulation. But I could not get over how they included a full Cloth coat, Hongo Takeshi's long hair that flows out of the bottom of his helmet, and the HEELS!
The coat is definitely what sold me though. I couldn't help but see the parallels between the figure and Maison Martin Margiela. The way the coat has this oversized and ill-fitting boxy look, with massive round buttons reminiscent of Margiela's work. In the documentary Martin Margiela: In His Own Words there is a segment where Martin talks about his childhood and about how he got into designing clothes. He explains that when he was a child he used to play with dolls a lot and always be making new outfits and clothes for them with the help of his grandma.
I grew up playing with Action Figures, X-men, Spidermans, and Batmans where the clothes were already molded onto the figure. But there were some exceptions where they would come with accessories made of cloth like a cloak, a mask, or maybe even gloves. It's so cool that Martin thought to make lifesized versions of the types of clothes he'd make for his dolls in those massively oversized silhouettes. I believe it was his Fall/Winter 94 or 95 collection that explored this.
Here is a shot of my Shin Ultraman and ToQ 5gou (They're dating (*ᴗ͈ˬᴗ͈)ꕤ)
I also bought the new Max Factory 1/6 scale release of Guyver which has yet to arrive and a Sacchin from Melty Blood figurine off ebay. I'll do another update post on all my figurines later. I need to get a display case or something and take some nice pics first.

















.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment