Friday, July 19, 2024

Sol's Glasses

I couldn't post anything yesterday because I had a splittin' headache sorry. I've been suffering from chronic sinus headaches for years now, but I've only just recently figured out what's been going on with me. I used to chalk it up to maybe just being withdrawal symptoms from my smoking and drinking days, but I've been smoke free for almost 5 years now and I hardly drink anymore either cuz I'm pretty much a hikikomori lite. I got some help with diagnosing what types of headaches I was having from a close friend who suffers from cluster headaches, and I narrowed it down to it being sinus headaches. For as long as I can remember, I've always had issues with my sinuses as a kid growing up and still deal with them to this day. One form of treatment I can try is called a Balloon Sinuplasty.

It's where they stick a little inflatable suction tube up your nose and into your sinuses and flush out all the shit that's been building up in there. This procedure doesn't require any surgery so that's good I guess but it's still scary to think about that tool being shoved so deep in your face.
I have something pretty major coming up in my life soon though, so this will have to wait for now. 

Doesn't help that I work from home during the week and I'm pretty much on my computer 24/7. So I decided to invest in some anti blue light glasses, to maybe help alleviate the headaches and the stress my eyeballs go through when I'm centimeters away from my screen gaming like a madman. At that time I had been watching a lot of Kamen Rider Faiz and there is a character in it named Itsuruo Takuma or "Centipede Orphnoch" who rocks the sickest pair of glasses. One of these days I'll have to do a deep dive post on how swag all of the characters on this show are, but for now let's look at Takuma san.




It was impossible to ID the exact pair he wore but I was dead set on wanting to get something similar so I did a search for vintage half-rim glasses on ebay. I came across a bunch of pretty inexpensive vintage Gucci glasses that had the same look so I quickly bought a pair expecting that I'd be able to get anti blue light lenses made for them. Boy was I wrong. Not only did the lenses cost like $400 dollars to make, but the frames I bought didn't even come with any lenses intact at all so I was shit out of luck because they can't craft lenses without having the stock ones to trace over. So I took an L on that one. They look sick as fuck tho, Gucci Titan-J model (I think the J stands for Japan only).


I remembered about my times working at a retro video game boutique and seeing stacks of unopened boxes of GUNNAR gaming glasses just sitting and rotting away on the shelves of our backroom covered in cobwebs. I guess no one bought them because they thought it was too nerdy back then. Well it turns out they are still in business, but unfortunately their catalogue is a shadow of its former self. They've traded the whole Y2k Gamer aesthetic in for tech-bro twitter employee head ahh looks. Look at how badass they used to be!






Peak mid 2000's Gamer style. I bought two used pairs of these for super cheap, "The Emissary" (half rim) and the "Stylus Z" (rimless). They are amazing to use when I'm gaming or just surfing the web but the yellow tint unfortunately keeps me from using them when I am editing and color grading video or photos for work. They also have a slight magnification to them so I can't wear them for too too long, especially if I already have a headache it'll just get worse. So the search for the perfect pair of glasses continued

Finally the day had come, I had been eyeballing a pair of Gentle Monster glasses that were out of stock for almost a year now. The Kro 02. I got a notification telling me they were finally back in stock so I instantly dropped the cash for them. It was funny they only take card at the store, so I told them I'd go to an atm and be right back but the cashier guy stopped me and was like ,"Wait let me talk to my loan shark over here real quick". So I gave him my money and he did some shady shit he probably shouldn't have done and bam I got my glasses.



Placebo or not? You decide for yourself. I'm Scharhrot, and I'm weird ~

PS Here is an image of Itsuro Takuma as a female. Stumbled upon it on some strange Japanese blog during my search. Kawaii desu.


No comments:

Post a Comment

DO YOU FEEL BLAME!?????

I originally started writing this post back in November 2024 but never really got around to wrapping up all my thoughts until now. A lot has...