Last year I discovered this rare gem of a game soundtrack playing in the background of either a ThorHighHeels or NakeyJakey video. I can't remember exactly which of them it was. I also couldn't find any information on the composers of this specific version of the ost sadly. But definitely going to buy a copy of this game so I can vibe out to the ost on original hardware. The gameplay looks pretty shitty not gonna lie but the sprites are very y2k and cute.I don't know anything really about the Bratz franchise but I am told these girls have a "Passion for Fashion" and I am known to spend hours on character customization, so if the game at least has that then it can't be THAT bad can it?
My favorite track from the ost is definitley "Buying Clothes to Impress". The combination of the fusiony/upbeat trip hop drums, the funky and almost detroit techno sounding Juno bass, with the simple yet luxurious sounding 3 chord progression of the rhodes style piano is soo fucking jazzy and loungey. Then the most CPU Bach sounding lead solo comes in for like 8 seconds then abruptly stops which is both hilarious and adorable. But it also gives the track a little bit of room to breathe and find its groove again before the maestro comes back in and kills it again a second time. I imagine whoever the composer or composers were on this probably were just having fun riffing and just said "fuck it we'll keep it" on like the first or second take and I love it for that. This is some music you can drink mimosas to while out relaxing on the terrace of your beach house in Ibiza. Also, with a name like Buying Clothes to Impress, you can't not listen to this at least once while your out shopping.
"Office and Downtown" is another slamming banger of a track with the most ethereal and dreamy sounding intro that will put you in the chillest of chilled out headspaces. The solo is a little less obnoxious on this one and meshes well with the slower trip hop beat and the little stabs of happiness of the background synth. And it all soulfully builds to a crescendo that then releases us beautifully back into the intro of the loop.

No comments:
Post a Comment